Marci Health Update

November was crazy busy, and has flown by. Overall I'm feeling much better, and learning to listen to my body and know my limitations. I've found out what happens when I push too far, and I've learned it's better to not overdo things. 

Nov 1: Third and (hopefully) last iron infusion today! My white count is holding steady at 3, and my hemoglobin was up to 10! I got some good news too, when Dr H's office called to tell me I don't have to come back until the 18th! Yay- my poor arm can have a break! It definitely needs it- they ended up having to use my hand again today for my labs. 

Nov 3: Had my referral with the dermatologist today. Luckily she said my rash wasn't what I thought maybe it was, and is just a very mild reaction to starting a new medicine. I had already started using some lotion on it, and it has cleared up quite a bit, but she also prescribed me an ointment to try if it doesn't clear completely. 

Nov 18: I came down and did my labs yesterday, and while my white count is up to 4 (still excellent!), my hemoglobin has also held steady at 10. This morning I met first with my gynecologist to go over the plan for my upcoming surgery, then met with Dr H. My hemoglobin hasn't gone down, but it isn't as high as he would like it, so he wants me to do 3 more iron infusions before the surgery, so we'll be getting those done pretty quickly. Otherwise, things are looking good, and I don't have to see him again until January!

Nov 23: Infusion number 4, and again I thought Cahl and the nurse were going to get into it about calling the VAT for my IV. They did put a call into the VAT, but they were tied up elsewhere, so the nurse just wanted to "give it a try." Cahl politely told her that no, thanks, but we'll wait. They were not impressed, but waited for awhile. Finally they came in a said that if they didn't get it started, there wouldn't be enough time for the infusion. So the nurse got herself all ready to try, and luckily the VAT lady showed up at the very last second! She got my IV in no problem, and they decided to leave it in for all 3 infusions, which sounded great to me! 

Nov 25: Infusion 5. I haven't been feeling well for the last few days (I think just very run down from our Vegas trip, stressed out, and now a cold on top), but I was happy they could just hook right up to my arm and get going this morning. 

Nov 27: Friday night after my last infusion, I started noticing that my arm was getting sore, and a red spot a few inches away from the IV port. After feeling progressively worse overnight and Saturday morning, and with the red spot feeling warm and growing into a tight, swollen spot, I decided to take my IV out and see if it would help. Saturday night it just felt worse, and my arm hurt to extend, with my fingers feeling numb at times. So Sunday morning I took myself down to urgent care to have it looked at. The Dr said I almost certainly have an infection of some sort, and put me on antibiotics. I'm terrified of this causing an issue with my surgery, that's now only 4 days away, and am praying that it will clear up quickly!

Nov 28: Sixth (and hopefully last- again!) infusion. The VAT was not available, so one of the crisis nurses came down to put my IV in. I've had them come before with no issues, but this poor guy seemed new and a bit nervous. It definitely didn't help that my "good" arm is out of commission at the moment, so he had to make do with my other arm. It took 2 tries, but he finally got it going and my infusion went off without a hitch. My other arm seems to be getting better, and Dr H gave me the go ahead for surgery, provided Dr Renner does the same. So fingers crossed it still happens!

Nov 29: Covid test 2.0. Results came back negative, and Dr Renner has also cleared me for surgery. My arm is so much better, still a little sore with a tight spot, but the redness and swelling is basically gone.

No comments: