So tonight was a regular night. After dinner and playing, we put the boys to bed around 8pm. Cahl, Brinley and I were downstairs watching tv. Brinley fell asleep and I was getting ready to take her upstairs to bed, when just before 9:30, we heard a loud popping sound. It sounded like glass breaking, and we thought maybe a picture had fallen or a light bulb had exploded. We thought it had come from the front room, so we went in there and checked all the lights, pictures, the lights on the tree, even the windows. We didn't see anything wrong, so Cahl went to check on Tristan's science experiment in the garage. He came back and said nothing was wrong in there, so he headed up stairs to look around. All the sudden I heard him yell "Holy shit! Marci get up here!" I ran upstairs and he was in Tristan's room. There were two holes through Tristan's wall, about the size of quarters, and the picture hanging on the opposite wall was shattered. That picture was hanging above Tristan's bed, so his bed was covered in broken glass. We went into Jasen and Hunter's room and there was a bullet hole through the window!!!!! I was still holding Brinley as she slept, so I took her into our room and laid her in her crib. Then Cahl and I woke up the boys and I took them all downstairs to watch cartoons in the living room while Cahl called the cops. I went back upstairs and got Brinley and brought her down to her playpen to sleep instead, because I didn't feel very safe having her upstairs. As Cahl was on the phone talking to the cops, our neighbors came over. They were the ones who had shot at our house accidentally. Turns out, our neighbor's daughter's boyfriend who lives with them was showing his friend a gun, and the friend fired it without anyone knowing that it was loaded. The bullet came out their wall, through our window, through the next wall, and through the opposite exterior wall. In total, it traveled through 1 window, 3 walls (2 of them exterior) and 2 bedrooms. Needless to say, we were less than impressed! Luckily the cops came quickly and checked everything out. They talked to all the neighbors, and Cahl. They also took a ton of pictures, and I did as well. The window has several holes in it, there are 2 main holes through the next wall, and one hole in the next wall that goes out of the house. The second hole that would have gone outside hit Tristan's headboard. The neighbors all apologized to Cahl (since he was outside and I was inside with the kids). The dad who owns the house said he didn't even know there was a gun in the house. The guy who owns the gun said he had no idea there was a bullet in it. He said it was for home protection. It ended up being a 30-06 rifle. And of course the guy who shot it apologized. Now, I am not a very angry person. I get mad, and sometimes I even get pissed off. But never, in my whole life, have I ever been as angry as I was tonight. Cahl had to keep telling me to stay inside. After everything died down, we put the boys to bed on the couches. We didn't want them upstairs since there was glass and chunks of drywall everywhere. So tomorrow brings a lot of cleaning up, but thank God no one was hurt! It could have turned out so badly, and I am so thankful that it didn't. Hopefully next time my neighbors won't be so STUPID when handling firearms. And for the record, I'm still pissed.
Our initial view of the window, Jasen's room
The wall opposite the window, Jasen's room
The back side of the same wall, Tristan's room
The picture that was hanging above his bed, and glass all over the bed
The wall opposite the window, in Tristan's room. This hole is where the picture was hanging, and the hole goes outside the house.
Tristan's headboard, about 12 inches from where he was sleeping
The bullet hole in their house
The window has several holes in it
Outside view, but not a very good photo
1 comment:
Oh my gosh! Reading that gave me the biggest goose bumps! That is so crazy! I am so glad no one was hurt! I would be FURIOUS!
Post a Comment